Thursday, July 29, 2010

Who is Matt Hoffman – Panem et Circenses




What a wonderful world. Wednesday night and what is all America doing? Wondering who the heck Matt Hoffman is. At least, based on Google Trends that was what was going through the minds of many people in the US.

Matt Hoffman is one of the contestants in the reality TV series Big Brother. The 12th episode of Big Brother starts on Friday and the night before a lot of people want to find out what might be going on the next day.

Here is what Matt says about himself: “I have what it takes. I’m smart, charismatic and housebroken so I won’t pee on the carpet.” I can’s see the smart part. With colored Tattoos all over, he might revise that “smart” in a few years when his kidneys or other organs fails. All that paint in the body ain’t no good.



What strikes me is how little reality people really have. Who cares who plays in what show? Are there not more important issues than debased reality shows?

Reminds me on the old Romans. They were kept in check with “panem et circenses”. That’s Latin and means Bread and Games. At that time the players were really eaten alive. Not by their opponents, more so by the lions. Reality shows are also about being eaten alive. Especially Big Brother as far as I heard. I have to admit, that I have never seen that show.

There are several wars going on on this planet, the Gulf of Mexico is turning into a tar mess, millions are on street drugs or prescription drugs. And what is being researched one of 13 wannabe actors from TV show. That the show is being watched, that I can understand. But that one of the “stars” is the number one trend on Google News, throws a rather dim light on America.

No comments:

Post a Comment