Monday, August 2, 2010

'Bachelorette': Ali loves Roberto, dismisses Chris early





If for some reason you missed the first 12 minutes, you didn't miss anything because there was a 10-minute video recap/preview clip montage and then a commercial. Bah. The one interesting thing Ali does say is that Chris is like a good friend where they have just started to fall for each other. I can totally see that and it's why I think they are lacking a spark. I could see Chris and Ali getting together after years of being friends or getting to be 40 and not having anybody, so they settle down together, ya know?


Roberrrrrto is up first (If I were Ali, I would say it that way all the time). Ali's parents and sister and brother are there. Man, Ali looks just like her mom. And I think it bodes well for the guys because it looks like she'll age well. The siblings? Look like her dad had an affair with the proverbial milkman.

Her mom Beth takes some one-on-one time with Roberto. He asks what he can do to make her happy and her mom says he's already doing it and she gets choked up. Awww. Score one for Roberrrrrrto. Beth then tells him his heart in pure in Spanish, which is such a cute mom thing to do.

Next up is a one-on-one with Ali's dad Alex. Roberto relays a moment he had with Ali and talks about their future. Her dad seems to give his blessing but he isn't quite as gung-ho as Beth, I don't think. It is then salsa time, ay ay ay. Ali's mom is so cute. Beth Fedotowsky for spin-off. Ali and Roberto go off alone to smooch and say goodbye.

Chris' Day
The family goes bonkers when she tells them he's from Cape Cod, which is hilarious. As someone from a small state, I can definitely say my family would have the same reaction if I had a guy and was like, "He's from Iowa!" Squeals all around.

It turns out Chris has all these connections to Ali's family -- moms both nurses, Chris taught high school math and Ali's dad and sister have been/are teachers. He seems to fit right in, more so than Roberto did. Just me getting that feeling?

At lunch, Chris talks about his mom and when he talks about how his mom made it until his brother's wedding and then passed away a month later, I start crying a little. Damn you, show. Sniffle.

Ali chats with her mom and the mom seems to bulls-eye in on the fact that he's solid. Just a solid guy. It's really the age-old conundrum between the spark and the solid, ya know? The fire and passion versus the comfortable, friendship thing. Which is more important? Ideally, the first one turns into the other, but in this case I feel like it's an either/or, ya know? Maybe I am getting too analytical about "The Bachelorette." But that's my take.

Chris tells her siblings that he "has a feeling" they'll be taking in some Sox games this summer together. Awww, I'm going to be so sad watching his heart get broken because I don't think he gets picked, you guys! This show has GOT to pick him for the next Bachelor.

Alex then takes Chris out for a chat. Hilariously, her dad says that he's looking for a guy who will "protect" his daughter. Too bad Kasey's gone!  Hahahaha. Chris seems to really hit ti out of the park with dad, making comparisons to his parents' marriage and a soulmate. He calls Ali "amazing" and says how happy she makes him. Score one for Chris. I get the feeling mom would choose Roberto and dad would choose Chris.

They end the day with a group swim in the ocean and then Ali and Chris smooch and say their goodbyes. Ali talking-heads about how it's not who is a great guy because they both are, but who is right for her. Seriously, tough choice. I haven't watched a ton of seasons of this show (from Mesnick on, basically) but this is the best final two I've seen by far.

Family Time
Ali debriefs with her family and they echo her feelings that both guys are great. Interestingly, her dad seems to come down on Roberto's side, which is not the vibe I got. The siblings pipe up that Chris told them he was proposing for certain because their relationship is real and the progression was normal and her mom chimes in that because of his tremendous loss, he is taking it slower and letting it happen naturally, which is a very insightful thing to say. It's funny that I kinda read the family wrong because now I think dad = Roberto and mom = Chris.

Roberto's Date
Ali and Roberto jet ski to an island and after some close encounters of the sting ray kind, they have a picnic on the beach. Ali talking-heads about the affection with Roberto and how sexy he is -- like I said, spark vs. solid.

That night, they hang out in his cabana and Ali is pretty gushing about how perfect he is. He then gives her a picture in a frame of them in the heart-shaped lagoon. On the back he writes a message for her, partially in Spanish. Aww, that is a great present.

They make out and he tells her he loves her and I just really think Roberto has this in the bag, y'all. I can't see her picking Chris and I can't see her NOT picking Roberto.

Just BTW -- doesn't "Bachelor Pad" look amazing? It's like the skanky "Big Brother."

Chris' Date
Chris talking-heads openly about when he and Ali get married, which is ... wow. Ambitious for this show. Though I do feel like he's sincere., but I fear the Chris fans are in for some heart break. He gets to the cabana and Ali takes him aside ... uh oh.

Ali tells Chris that she's in a weird place and her family loved him and blahblah, but the gist is she just doesn't feel it with Chris. You can tell he's pretty upset. She explains she just didn't want to put him through the final rose ceremony if she knew he wasn't the one. He thanks her for being honest, it's all very mature and healthy and still sad, but it's kind of a nice ending, ya know? He even wishes her luck with Roberto! He's so great. Chris for next Bachelor, ABC! Do you hear me?!

Ali talking-heads that she knows she loves Roberto and she doesn't want to cause Chris any more pain. Man, they could not have scripted this any better. It's so dramatic but also feels pretty organic because there's the spark with Roberto and it's just comfy with Chris. And he's so great about it because he rocks and needs to be the next Bachelor.

And then he sees a rainbow, which is his sign from his mom, remember? Oh my gosh, crying again. It's that losing-a-parent thing, it's something I worry about and I can't imagine how hard it is. This is making Chris look so freaking amazing, he HAS to be the next Bachelor, right? He could not have gotten a better set-up for that.

The Final Day
Ali says she's in love with Roberto and there's a great montage of their time together. You know what is refreshing? That because one of the contenders is gone, they're letting Ali talk about how much she loves the person who is coming to propose. It's such a nice change, usually they have to pussyfoot around so much.

Roberto picks out his ring -- it appears he passes on the brown diamonds. "They were calling 'em 'piss,' but they weren't moving any units." Have you seen "Beautiful Girls"? You should if you haven't, it's great. Also just btw, Ali's gold Greek goddess dress is amazing. She has had the best clothes this season, I am totally coveting many of her outfits.

So you know how Ali is talking so much about how she's 100% sure Roberto is for her? What if he showed up and didn't propose? After Chris said he was going to? That would be a little bit hilarious.

Roberto arrives and tells her he was thinking all night about his decision. He then says he wants to be the man for her (after a heart attack moment where it looks like he's going to dump her -- even Ali looked a little scared!). But then he gets all mushy and then she tells him she sent Chris home and she says she loves him and oh my god, I'm getting a little misty over here! What is WRONG with me tonight, this show never does this to me! Roberto then proposes and -- am I just being a dope or does this seem actually sincere? More so than any other season?

Wow. This is too much. Of course, no sooner have I typed that then I am the driven right back to reality as that stupid "Lion King" song kicks up. Gag me. Okay, guys. That's it for the recap of the show. "After the Final Rose" will be its own piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment